Inn: Inner Temple
Elizabeth specialises in clinical negligence claims at all levels and has a successful and wide-ranging practice. She is knowledgeable and experienced in all areas of clinical negligence claims and inquests and is known for her attention to detail and work ethic. Elizabeth is able to build excellent working relationships with lay clients in the most complex and emotive of cases. She has a great deal of experience in settlement negotiations, mediations and joint settlement meetings, and is a CEDR accredited civil and commercial mediator.
Elizabeth combines a wealth of experience including complex and high value matters, with a rigorously practical approach, and has a reputation as a robust and determined advocate.
Highlights of her recent and current work include:
- A complex private plastic surgery claim for failure to diagnose a squamous cell carcinoma resulting in avoidable death with extensive dependency claims settled for £1 million.
- A mesh claim for wrongly implanted Trans-Obturator Tape with complex psychiatric and immunological compromise issues settled for over £500,000.
- A very unusual case with a large number of experts arising from a rare tumour that had gone undiagnosed for over 15 years, resulting in complications and a stroke, leaving the Claimant with significant neurological damage. Excellent settlement negotiated.
- A long running, complex and robustly defended claim arising from the management of a ruptured Achilles Tendon and DVT in a schizophrenic patient who suffered long-term disability and deterioration of her mental health. Settlement achieved via joint settlement meeting.
- A complex multi-defendant case arising from GP mismanagement of Crohn’s disease, delayed diagnosis of cancer, with fatal outcome.
- A sensitive case of Fournier’s Gangrene with almost fatal consequences. Complex quantum claim due to delay in career with the Metropolitan Police. Excellent settlement achieved.
- A complex claim arising from a malpositioned hip replacement during revision surgery, resulting in dislocation, further surgeries, ongoing disability and psychiatric injury. Excellent settlement negotiated.
- A number of cases involving loss of fertility and claims for surrogacy costs
- Morrison v Liverpool Women’s NHS Foundation Trust  EWHC 91 (QB) – robustly defended obstetric claim arising from a delay in providing a Caesarean Section, resulting in uterine rupture and hysterectomy. Successful at trial and again on appeal.
Elizabeth has been recommended for clinical negligence by Legal 500 for 5 consecutive years. ““Elizabeth is uniquely analytical, a sharp mind that never seems to stop thinking.” “Elizabeth has a great eye for detail, an excellent understanding of the law around clinical negligence claims and a fabulous work ethic – always happy to help.”
Areas of Work
- Obstetric, Midwifery and Neonatal –including antenatal management, premature births, IUGR, uterine rupture, Cerebral Palsy, failed termination, tissue retention, retained products, neonatal management, surrogacy.
- Gynaecology – hysterectomy, premature menopause, incontinence,
- Orthopaedic – fractures, joint replacements, Achilles Tendon rupture, post operative management, DVT prevention
- General Practice – delayed referrals and diagnosis, prescribing errors, practice management errors
- Gastro / Colorectal – bowel perforation, diverticular disease, appendicitis, Crohns / Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Neurology / Neurosurgery – strokes, brain tumour removal, traumatic brain injury, intracranial haemorrhage, epilepsy
- Spinal surgery – Cauda Equina
- Paediatrics including community paediatrics
- Oncology – delayed diagnosis, negligent management, reduced life expectancy
- Anaesthetics and Intensive Care management – eg anaesthetic awareness, intubation, NICU,
- Nursing (hospital and general practice) – post surgical management, diabetic management, drug errors, foot ulcers, pressure sores, prison/police custody nursing
- Accident & Emergency care
- Cardiology – infective endocarditis, Marfan’s Syndrome
- Opticians / Ophthalmology including delayed referrals, eye surgery, eye anaesthesia, loss of vision, optic prosthesis
- Geriatrics / Care Homes
- Ambulance / Air Ambulance
- Dentists / Orthodontists – oral health, tooth removal, root canal treatment, oral cancers
- Plastic surgery including scar revision and gender affirmation surgeries
- Patients without capacity
- MORRISON v LIVERPOOL WOMEN’S NHS FOUNDATION TRUST  EWHC 91 (QB)
- Shrewsbury Maternity Scandal
- Cowley v Cheshire & Merseyside Strategic Health Authority  EWHC 48 (QB), (2007) LS Law Medical 160, (2007) 94 BMLR 29 (clinical negligence: CP) (Junior Counsel to Michael De Navarro QC)
- Hemingway v North East London Strategic Health Authority  EWHC 3416 (QB) (clinical negligence: CP) (Junior Counsel to Ben Browne QC)
“Leading Junior” – Legal 500
“Elizabeth is uniquely analytical, a sharp mind that never seems to stop thinking.”
“Elizabeth has a great eye for detail, an excellent understanding of the law around clinical negligence claims and a fabulous work ethic – always happy to help. “