Inn: Inner Temple
Gary joined chambers in 2021 after completing a Chancery and Commercial pupillage under the supervision of David Green.
Gary accepts instructions in all Chancery and Commercial matters. Gary is friendly and approachable and is happy to discuss matters and advise informally prior to formal instructions. Work will be accepted on a Conditional Fee Arrangement basis where the merits of the case allow. Requests for paperwork will usually receive a response within 14 days and often sooner; tighter deadlines can be accommodated upon request.
Before joining the bar, Gary studied Law at Liverpool John Moores University and the Bar Professional Training Course at Manchester Metropolitan University. Gary then spent several years as an Insurance Broker in Liverpool and a member of the Chartered Institute of Insurance. In that role he specialised in professional indemnity insurance for construction professionals and advised on matters relating to the placement of insurance through the Lloyds of London market, tendering, procurement, construction negligence and contractual matters on high profile projects in the UK, Australia, the Middle East and Asia.
Outside of work Gary is a keen mountaineer and shares his passion for the outdoors with his local Scout group. Gary also regularly endures watching Tranmere Rovers and has spent time as a football referee with ‘career’ highlights including officiating in the qualifying rounds of the F.A. Cup and Premier League Reserve fixtures.
Areas of Work
Chancery and Commercial
ConstructionInstructions in all types of construction matters are accepted. Having previously specialised in insurance for construction professions Gary has previously worked closely with some of the largest consulting engineers, architects, surveyors and contractors on all manner of issues relating to risk management, tendering, procurement and construction negligence.
Gary has considerable expertise in relation to all standard forms of construction contracts including RIBA, FIDIC, JCT, ACE and ICE (ground investigation) both in the UK and overseas jurisdictions. He has particular experience in relation to the full suite of NEC3/NEC4 contracts and is happy to advise on matters relating to early warning notices, compensation events/pain sharing, payment options and ‘Z Clauses’.
Having previously worked in the insurance industry Gary is well placed to advise on all matters of insurance including;
- professional indemnity insurance
- public liability
- business interruption (including COVID-19 related matters)
- cyber/crime policies
- director and officers
- Lloyds of London/regulatory
- reinsurance; fraud
- policy terms/drafting
- claims notification
- aggregation of claims
- policy extensions/exclusions
- cover/claims declinature.
- drainage disputes
- rights of way and other easements
- adverse possession
- trusts of land
- proprietary estoppel
- party wall
- land registration and compulsory purchase.
Landlord & Tenant
- commercial & residential
- social housing
- possession claims
- dilapidations & disrepair
- agricultural tenancies
- leasehold enfranchisement
- construction of leases
- 1954 Act business tenancies
- break clauses and options
- forfeiture and possession and rent and service charges
Professional negligence relating to accountancy, solicitors, insolvency and insurance brokers. See also ‘construction’.
- undue influence
- testamentary capacity
- trusts and beneficial interest
- administration actions
- intestate succession
- inheritance and capital gains tax
- executors and personal representatives
- statutory wills.
Trusts, Probate and Family Provision
- probate (contentious and non-contumacious)
- inheritance (Provision for Families and Dependants) Act 1975
- trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act (TOLATA) 1996
- administration of estates/trusts; administrators and trustees
- variation of trusts
- trust deeds
- charities and charitable trusts.
- Partnership and LLP law
- partnership dissolution and winding up; bankruptcy and corporate insolvency
- IVAs and CVAs
- Administration and receivership
- Applications by or against trustees in bankruptcy, liquidators and administrators
- Unfair prejudice petitions
- Transactions at an undervalue and preferences
- Commercial and contractual disputes; directors and shareholders
- Company law; company governance, dissolution and restoration
- Directors disqualification.
Court of Protection
- Lasting power of attorney (LPAs)
- Ordinary power of attorney
- Living wills